Sunday, March 1, 2009
We went to Belize the second week in February for a week. Lots of pictures to post but did not want to bore you with all of them so I did my best to choose a few of them to share with you.
We stayed over night in Atlanta and Saturday morning flew to Belize City. We boarded a small plane (15 people counting the pilot) and flew to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye (a small island off the coast of Belize). This is the plane smallest plane I have ever been on. What a ride!
As you boarded a gentleman told you where to sit on the plane so as to distribute the weight. Dad sat behind the pilot. He enjoyed being so close to the front.
I fortunately got to sit in the back.
After landing in San Pedro we got on a small boat to go to Captain Morgan's.
This is the area we stayed in on the resort property. Our room was on the second floor on the right of the building facing the water.
What a beautiful view from our balcony! This is the pool bar. Another swimming pool was in front of the restaurant and office. No sidewalks. Only sand. Loved it!
These are the bathrooms. They were located behind our building.
This is one of our roommates. There were a variety of sizes - from 8 inches to 3 or 4 feet long. Friendly creatures, thank goodness.
We went into town (San Pedro) to buy groceries on Monday. We really had to check the expiration date on the food items we wanted to purchase. We found 2006 to 2008 dates on many of the soda cans. Plus, being exposed to the heat was not helpful either. Needless to say, we didn't buy many groceries. Golf carts were used by the residents and tourists to get around. A few vans were taxis.
The weather was cool and quite windy the first few days. No dive trips were scheduled because of the strong current from the wind. On Wednesday we took a kayak out to the reef to go snorkeling. We couldn't find a buoy to tie the kayak to so Dad got out and snorkeled and I followed him around in the kayak. Yes, those are dark rain clouds in the sky and yes, we did get rained on. Grateful there was no lightening!
Something fun Dad saw while snorkeling was this sting ray.
The weather was better the rest of the week so Dad did a two tank dive on Thursday and on Friday a three tank dive to the Blue Hole. I went on a snorkel trip on Friday morning but had no camera to take pictures to PROVE I swam so close to sharks that were from 4 to 6 feet long and sting rays that were 6 to 8 feet wide that I could reach out my hand and touch them! Dad had the camera with him. The following pictures are of Dad's diving adventures.
Dad found Dorie but together they could not find Nemo.
Beautiful coral of all colors and textures and shapes.


This is the Blue Hole which is a perfectly circular limestone sinkhole. It is approximately 300 feet across and 412 feet deep.
At approximately 110 feet you start to see stalagmites and stalagtites. Dad went down to 144 feet. The deepest he has been so far. He could only stay down that deep for a few minutes because of diving safety regulations. This is to keep from having to decompress due to too much nitrogen in the blood stream.


Ready to get back in the water!!!
This brightly colored sponge has a visitor.


Did you know there are even spiders deep in the ocean?



Now, I ask you, do I look like I want to go home? This is what retirement is going to be!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow What great pictures. Looks like you had a wonderful time. I think you need to to take us next time!
Post a Comment